Historic building recording
Surveying and recording the site’s historic structures has also taken place. Covering 22,000m², St John’s Wood Square houses 20 buildings that were built over 180 years use of the former St John’s Wood Barracks. The most notable of the structures recorded is the Grade II listed Riding School, constructed in 1824. Neo-classical in style, it is the only building that survives from the original barracks.
The Officers’ Mess, constructed in 1921, was also recorded. The neo-Georgian style Mess was added to the barracks following the return of the cavalry to St John’s Wood. The Riding School and Officers’ Mess survived extensive remodelling of the barracks in the early 1970s.
The 70s designs, by London born architect Elie Mayorcas, included construction of replacement cavalry buildings, stables and accommodation blocks.
The site comprises a row of terraced houses located on Queen’s Terrace, to the east of the main barracks site. These houses were built by the mid-19th century and include the Knights of St John public house, which served the local area until the early 90s.